Wednesday 6 March 2013

FMP - Brief 3 - Exploring suitable Binding techniques

Something I hadn't thought of when creating a time plan for this brief, was the need to explore book binding before I could start the designing process. I needed to know exactly how I would be binding it, to know how to paginate, margins I would need to be aware of, and stock choice. This is something I have learn from OUGD301 after realising I could have saved myself so much time If i'd done this previously.

So after creating my embossing plate, and using it on various stock I knew the format I wanted but needed to explore a suitable binding method to reflect it. 

So after looking at a few samples, and discussing what I wanted with a technition, and after researching myself, the Coptic bind we decided on a few suitable options.


The Coptic bind example


My 1st attempt




This bind is by far my favourite but it was a very lengthy process but produced what I wanted - something of a high quality finish and beautiful open bind. 


Notes when designing for coptic bind:

Use thin stock for larger amount of pages
Hard cover needs to same colour as stock embossed on to be duplexed onto front
Bukrim allows for easy binding - try to emboss onto rather than attach something to
Takes about 3 hours 
Strong sturdy outcome
Limitation to have a range of stock
Limitation to even number of pages



My Simple glue bind

This was a very quick and easy bind, but not very strong



Notes for simple glue bind:

Single leaf
30 Mins to produce
Could be used for paper back / smaller version / postcard book
Not very strong - for show only


My Japanese bind

This doesn't take very long to do and is a strong way of holding together single leaf pages.

Notes:

Stops design coming to edge of paper as designed - overcome by covering bind with design
Bind not so pretty on front
Single leaf
30 mins to produce









No comments:

Post a Comment