Wednesday 9 January 2013

FMP - Briefs Written

Brief #1 Ten Things you should know

10 things you should know about is a previous competition brief which I initially wanted to do in the module OUGD301 but dropped it. I had previously decided to look at the subject of education and the theme of what children should learn at home, and from this to produce a series of children publications.  These could then go on to be sold at Leeds International book fair.

Why I want to do this brief

The education sector is an area of the industry I am interested in working within, this brief allows me to touch of this area. I feel I have access to a lot of primary research within this brief too, as I live with 2 students who study primary education, so could ask them for resources and opinions. Another reason for my brief choice is related to my skills, the skills this brief will help to improve includes:

Type and Layout - Through the publication material
Print - Potentially contacting printers
Binding - If chosen to print and bind myself
Illustration - Image content to give explanation alongside writing
Craft - If the book range takes a product range focus



Brief #2 Douwe Egberts Coffee

A YCN brief looking at aiming Douwe Egberts Coffee at a younger target audience through packaging design, or a campaign or idea. To make drinking coffee at home as popular with young people as drink at a coffee shop. I will be looking at engaging a younger target audience through colour, packaging and print of the coffee packaging and creating a campaign which drives this.

Why I want to do this brief

I am really interested and focused on working within the retail sector; this brief is working with products which are within this sector. Some of my stronger skills lie within craft, construction and packaging design so this brief is ideal for me, as I haven't really had the chance to do such a brief this year. The brief also gives me the chance to do something very concept and research driven which is something I've learnt to be a hugely important element of design: being able to give explanation throughout the design development process.

Packaging - To Design, looking at how it would work in store and at home
Research - A lot of research will be conducted into the company and what their product evokes
Concept - Being concept driven will give a strong idea and message, and is something I want to concentrate on this year
Campaign - To create an affective campaign, to engage with a specific audience, looking at how my work would work in the real world
Digital Devices - Designing a website and app to give exposure to the new brand look




Brief #3 UK Greetings

A YCN brief looking at designing a series of greeting card designs, with an idea of concept to stand out from an overcrowded market. I want to push the brief, and the concept to produce a whole range giftware stationary, retail graphics and advertising. 

Why I want to do this brief

Giftware and stationary is an area of Graphic Design which I am highly interesting in designing for, and Tigerprint is somewhere I aspire to obtain a placement at some point, so by doing this brief, it adds an element to my portfolio which could help my chances of getting a placement. Within the last module I touched on designing giftware and stationary in the form of gift bags and packaging so I could like to fully  expand on this area.

Craft - Crafting nets to create packaging, crafting patterns onto products using a range of methods
Print - Using a range of printing methods to be able to print onto a range of materials, products and stock
Illustration - With a focus on illustration it will improve my illustration skills and style
Industry Direction - By designing giftware and stationary its helping my chances by adding to my portfolio
Retail design - Designing for retail and a target audience



Brief #4 Doing my nut in - Special Edition

Pushing a brief from the module OUGD301 looking at accents and dialect within Britain, creating a special edition, with new added locations and elements.

Why I want to do this brief

I really enjoyed the design, print and production of the original Doing my nut in brief, but realised at the end all of the improvements I could have made to have made it a much better product, and thats what I want to focus on within this brief. Making the finished outcome as professional as I can and consider printing methods and binding more. Instead of making several books I want to push myself and make a very large substantial book to potentially send of to a printers to get produced, printed and bound.

Type and Layout
Contacting print companies
Binding (potentially)
Research
Concept



Brief #5 Paperchase  - Special Edition

Creating surface pattern designs to push across a Spring / Summer collection range for Paperchase with a focus on illustration and print. The illustration content will be concept and research driven.

Why I want to do this brief

Paperchase is a company I aspire to work for or produce some work for them as a freelancer, the products in store are heavily illustration driven. By doing a collection for them I will be improving my illustration style and application to product and stationary, through exploring suitable printing processes.

Illustration
Print
Application to product
Surface Pattern design



Brief #6 Be-Ro

To update the dated brand and aesthetics of Be-Ro baking product range and engage with a younger audience by doing so. Creating a new packaging design range, advertisement and promotional material alongside a campaign.

Why I want to do this brief

I love baking so its a topic of interest to me, I've used Be-Ro cook books and products and remember using my mum old Be-Ro recipe book from the seventies. I want to update to the brand and packaging but retain its classic heritage and engage their products at people like me, at my age range, to try and get people baking again.

Packaging
Branding
Concept
Campaign
Craft


Brief #7 Laura Ashley - Collab with Sophie

To create a Spring / Summer product collection, with a focus on illustrations and printed textile design with a strong brand design. 

Why I want to do this brief

Laura Ashley as a company engages with a high end older audience, and has a sense of style and quality. Me and Sophie have similar interests and decided to write a brief we could collaborate on, I've always wanted to work with her so this is a brilliant opportunity to do so. Branding isn't my strong point, but illustration is so by working with Sophie we can create an extensive collection, and for it to have context and an identity to work within the store.

Illustration
Print
Brand
Application to product
Concept



Brief #8 Camping

To engage a younger audience to be interested in camping within the UK, and see it as a cheaper alternative to going abroad.

Why I want to do this brief

I love camping and have done so since I was one, its been something I've done with my family for years and do so every year so I'm aware of  what makes it good. Over the years I've been surprised by friends who have said they've never been and I just thought it was part of everyones childhood. As a young adult, many people go abroad with friends for a fun holiday, I want to try and engage people by creating some kind of campaign and range of products to make people want to camp in the UK. This brief will be highly concept driven and will take a lot of research with my intended audience to make it work.

Concept
Research
Print Collateral 



Brief #9 Food for thought - Collaboration with Joe

To produce a publication with a focus on the science of food, for food enthusiasts and chefs.

Why I want to do this brief

It will be heavily research driven and the outcome will be something different within my portfolio due to it being a collaboration with someone whos style and skills are so different to my own. I will be producing illustrative material to sit alongside information with the publication which Joe will be producing and laying out. I've always wanted to work with Joe so I'm very happy I've got the opportunity.

Concept
Research
Illustration

No comments:

Post a Comment