Sunday 3 February 2013

FMP - Hessian Packaging

I wanted to reflect the heritage and history of Douwe Egberts Coffee beans, with a new fresh approach to the packaging material. I also wanted to consider the ethological impact, for the packaging to be re-usable within the home. I then considered the use of hessian, and how it could be a nice way to reflect the Douwe Egberts history, and the fact it's been around so long.

I came across a 'Happy Rice' project which looking at stitching hessian to form a bag, and screen printing the design onto. The product itself I'm not to keen on, due to its unprofessional stitching finish and its mixed array of type. The hessian packaging I will produce will be an internal packaging to a card / paper based outershell.


Source: http://www.behance.net/gallery/HAPPY-RICE/1588441


'The objective of this brief was to design packaging that was sustainable and to satisfy a target audience. My product to package for was rice, and the idea behind my packaging was to be as environmentally friendly as possible; made from Hessian fabric and the branding was screen printed onto the fabric with water based paint. My structure is also completely hand made; fabric is cut by hand, put together by hand and then using a sewing machine, sewn together.'

This packaging design is solely driven by stock, as is Eco considered so has decided to use a organic fabric, which is this case it hessian which is biogradable. The packaging itself can also be reused with the resealable pull tie. The printing method of screen printing was also highly considered - a more sustainable way of printing, especially onto such a fabric as hessian.




No comments:

Post a Comment