Friday 15 February 2013

FMP - Brief 2 - Fabric Printing Tests

As pre-mentioned I had bought some hessian material to work with on producing the Coffee packaging. I took it down to screen print today along with my chosen logo compositions to try and print onto. I got some advice about whether I was able to print onto the course material, with the fabric having rather large holes in,  it wasn't sure how the print would come out or even work. I gave it a try anyway stretching the fabric on board first.


I'm really happy with the rustic look I've achieved, as it's exactly what I wanted, to reflect Douwe Egberts heritage. The material is very easy to work with and manipulate which is a bonus, it will be easy to construct to a form and shape.


Each test piece was printed differently in regard to number of and direction of pulls, to see which resulted in the best print. I noted each with a label as to what had been done. The best outcome was a print which had been pulled 2 times horizontally and 4 vertically, by printing in two direction, the paint was picked up by as much of the material as possible.


It was suggested I tried printing onto the material muslin, which they supple, as its much thinner and less dense so should pick up a lot more paint and detail. It also has a very workable and moveable ability, if not more so than the hessian, so within the next few week I intend on experimenting with this too.


Through doing this process I've realised the design elements I could change to make this work better is too make by designs larger. It would show the letterforms much betters. I need to start considering the size of the packaging I want to work with, and designs so I know the sizes I should work to.




No comments:

Post a Comment