Sunday 24 February 2013

FMP - Brief 5 - Watercolour Illustrations

After me and Sophie had a catch up I decided it was about time I started producing work, as the branding needed a context to work with. I had expressed my interest in producing watercolour illustrations, as it is a strong skill of mine which I felt was inkeeping with Laura Ashleys current style.

Within the Laura Ashley catalogue I took some inspiration from existing surface pattern designs in regard to composition and styling.:




I started drawing from the already sourced images of flowers we had decided to use within our surface pattern content:



The original images I did were not as vibrant and outstanding as I had wanted, this is due to the medium and products used - watercolours produce soft pastelled pieces rather than bright and vibrant.




I decided to take them into photoshop to increase intensity and contrast, to make them more outstanding. I'm happy with the final result and intend on producing a few surface pattern designs from these flowers for now:




The surface pattern designs I have produced I am really happy with, I have to consider Sophies perception too, so will be having a meeting with her during the week to see which she likes best and if i'm in the right direction with fitting to the branding too.




I then combined the two flowers, after changing the purple flowers colour to be more pink, to create more varied patterns. It has worked to an extent but I think I need to be more creative with my pattern choices. Also once they are in context and printed I can imagine it to look far better.

No comments:

Post a Comment